Dota 2 Beats LoL And CS:GO To Have Most Audience Engagement


Dota 2 Beats LoL And CS:GO To Have Most Audience Engagement

Rakshak Kathuria
Published On: 
  • Dota 2 becomes the esports game with the highest audience engagement on Twitch in Q3 of 2020.
  • Dota 2 is ranked 1 with an audience engagement of 36.55% followed by CS:GO with 34.13% and LoL with 30.18%.
  • More than every third viewer in Dota 2 occasionally watches broadcasts showing esports. It is the most popular esports game in the CIS region.

Dota 2 is ending the year 2020 on a high note as it has occupied the number 1 spot in audience engagement on Twitch as per a report by Esports Charts. It has defeated top esports titles like League Of Legends and CS:GO to become the leader in terms of engagement.

RELATED:  Dota 2 Headlines Over The Months- Rewind 2020

Dota 2 Has the Most Audience Engagement on Twitch

Esports Charts compiled a report from the stats recorded in Q3 of 2020, which has revealed that Dota 2 had the most audience engaged in its esports. It meant that Dota had more viewers watching the game’s esports segment than any other title like CS:GO and LoL. Dota is the leader with 36.55% engagement, followed by CS:GO with 34.13% and LoL with 30.18%. 

The purpose of this detailed report was to evaluate what proportion of an audience watched the competitive streams of a particular game more than the casual ones. Talking about all the games combined, they concluded that out of the games that have a professional scene attached to it like Dota 2, CS:GO, LoL, Call Of Duty etc. and excluding the ones that are played casually like GTA V, Among Us, Fall Guys etc., only 5% of the total audience watched esports. The remaining 95% were viewers of casual streams and broadcasts which showcases that esports represents only a tiny fraction Twitch’s viewership. Esports charts stated, “It seems that esports should definitely be at least as popular as day-to-day gaming because it includes the competitive component, but the numbers show the contrary.”

Esports Charts took into consideration the following set of factors to arrive at this final report. 

Image Via Esports ChartsIf we talk about Dota 2’s numbers like Unique Viewers, Total Hours Watched, it considerably lags behind other esports titles. However, the proportion of people wanting to tune into the esports streams on Twitch is the highest for the game. More than every third viewer in Dota 2 occasionally watches broadcasts showing esports. The report also stated that Dota 2 is the most popular esports title in the CIS region but it takes a back seat when we talk about other regions.

Perhaps this is because Dota 2 streamers who stream on a daily basis are few and far between compared to that of League of Legends, CS:GO, or even VALORANT.

Dota 2 has had a sundry of online tournaments in the last five months, which has attracted many audiences. OMEGA League, EPIC League, and ESL One Germany 2020 have been at the forefront of these tournaments as the EU/CIS region, arguably, witnesses the most competent and high skill games. 

RELATED:  Dota 2 Reaches Highest Peak Player Count in 5 Months After Diretide Release

All in all, a larger part of the Dota 2 audience has preferred to watch the competitive matches in Q3 of 2020, while for other games, the esports segment has taken a toll with very few proportions of people wanting to watch professional matches. 

author profile picture

Rakshak is an undergrad, an inquisitive person who likes to acquire information and knowledge of varied sectors in esports. However, his current focus is specifically on Dota 2.