Free Fire Reportedly Becomes Highest Grossing Mobile Game in Latin America, SEA, India
- Sea Limited (Garena's parent company) states that Free Fire is the highest-grossing mobile game in Latin America, SEA, and India for the first quarter of 2021.
- The report also indicates that Free Fire has maintained such a leading position in Latin America and SEA for 7 consecutive quarters now.
- In the absence of PUBG Mobile, Free Fire has been able to convert a significant percentage of the Indian player base.
The battle royale mobile game Free Fire published by Garena for Android and iOS has reportedly continued its domination across Latin America, Southeast Asia, and India. According to the first quarter reports of Sea Limited (ended March 31, 2021) - Garena’s parent company, “Free Fire, continued to be the highest-grossing mobile game in Latin America, Southeast Asia, and India for the first quarter of 2021, according to App Annie (global analytics and market data provider)”. The report further stated that such a leading position had been maintained by Free Fire for 7 consecutive quarters in Latin America and SEA while maintaining the same streak in India for the last 2 quarters.
RELATED: Free Fire Crosses 100 Billion Lifetime YouTube Views
Free Fire’s Performance in Latin America, SEA, India - Q1 of 2021
Free Fire, the mobile-based battle royale which became the most downloaded mobile game globally in the year 2019, has managed to continue its dominating run especially in Latin America and Southeast Asia. The game in recent months has also managed to capture ground within India, which was earlier dominated by PUBG Mobile.
Following PUBG Mobile’s ban, Free Fire quickly converted a huge portion of the Indian userbase, reaping great benefits and reportedly asserting its domination on yet another region successfully.
The quarterly report released by Garena’s parent company Sea Limited states that Free Fire is the “highest-grossing mobile game in Latin America, Southeast Asia, and India for the first quarter of 2021”. App Annie is the analytics and data company based on which the following Free Fire report has been compiled and presented,
- Free Fire is a big part of the Digital Entertainment vertical for Sea Limited and the report published states that it witnessed a growth of 111.4% in the first quarter of 2021, going from $369.7 million (first quarter 2020) to USD USD $781.3 million (first quarter 2021).
“This increase was primarily due to the increase in our active user base as well as the deepened paying user penetration, and in particular, the continued success of our self-developed game Free Fire.”
- Similarly, even the cost of revenue witnessed an increase by 74.0% to USD $248.2 million in the first quarter of 2021 from USD $142.7 million in the first quarter of 2020.
“This growth was largely in line with the increase in our digital entertainment revenue. Improvement in gross profit margins was largely due to higher revenue contribution from our self-developed game (Free Fire)."
- An increase in sales and marketing expenses also increased by 111.9% to USD $56.8 million in the first quarter of 2021 from USD $26.8 million in the first quarter of 2020.
“The increase was primarily due to higher online marketing costs as we continue to deepen the engagement with our gamers’ community.”
Based on the statistics mentioned above, which were reported by Garena’s parent company Sea Limited, they indicate their dominance over regions such as Latin America, SEA, and India. While the mobile game might be doing well so far, its performance in India might take a hit considering that Battlegrounds Mobile India is all set to make a come back soon, with its pre-registrations having already gone live a few days back.