Valve Removes TobiWan's Voicelines from TI10 Battle Pass After Sexual Assault Allegations
- Cosplayer Meruna accuses TobiWan of sexual assault, after his apology.
- Synderen (Meruna's boyfriend), other casters, and other esports organizations have publicly cut ties with the caster.
- Valve removed TobiWan's Voicelines from TI10's Battle Pass following these allegations of sexual harassment.
After artist @botjira’s initial allegations of sexual assault against Toby "TobiWan" Dawson were made public, the caster responded with a Twittlonger post where he listed out and apologized for his instances of sexual misconduct. Following this other women including Meruna and Ashnichrist have also come up and accused him of sexual harassment and sexual misconduct over the years.
Although Valve is yet to make a statement on this situation, they have removed Tobiwan's voice lines from TI10’s Battle Pass. Other casters, casting studios and esports organisations have also cut ties with TobiWan.
TobiWan’s Sexual Assault Against Cosplayer Meruna
- In a Twitlonger post, former cosplayer Meruna revealed that TobiWan had sexually assaulted her.
- Meruna stated that TobiWan did not take "No" for an answer and initiated sexual activity with me against her clear and repeated wishes.
- She added that this incident happened in 2011 when she was 18 and TobiWan was 26.
- Meruna alleged that she was scared to talk about this and come forward because of an incident involving Kelly Milkies where TobiWan had shamed her for having different partners and turned an entire community against her.
- In a follow-up Tweet, Meruna also stated that they were not in a relationship unlike what TobiWan had initially claimed in his apology post.
- She also stated that she didn’t consent to being stealthed (The act of removing a condom during sex without the consent of the partner. It is a form of sexual assault.)
- Meruna also stated that TobiWan had performed sexual activities with her when she said she didn’t want to do so. She added that he had disregarded this and hence she had to wake up to him “doing things”.
- In an earlier post on Twitlonger, Meruna stated that she didn’t feel comfortable with telling this story because of the community’s reaction to other women's accounts of sexual harassment. However, TobiWan’s “half-assed apology” and the fact that he didn’t contact her when he claimed to have “discussed privately with those that he had wronged” instigated her to make this post.
- She stated that this also made her realize that TobiWan had not become the better man that she thought he might have become.
- She added that her boyfriend, Troels Lyngholt "syndereN" Nielsen did not know about this incident until yesterday.
Finally, at the end of her post on Twitlonger, she said:
“Toby: I hope your daughter meets better men.”
Valve Removes Tobiwan's Voicelines from TI10 Battle Pass After Sexual Assault Allegations
Following these allegations, a small patch was dispatched to the Dota 2 client, after which TobiWan’s voice lines were removed from the TI10 Battle Pass.
Casters and Casting Studios Cut Ties With TobiWan
Following this incident, Synderen Tweeted that he will no longer associate with TobiWan and asked the community to listen to the victims.
Beyond The Summit’s Managing Partner David "LD" Gorman also made it clear that the studio will not be working with him in the future.
Capitalist also made his feelings clear, following which Meruna thanked him for giving her the support to speak out.
Code Red Esports agency also confirmed that they will no longer represent TobiWan.
Cosplayer and Streamer Ashnichrist who also made sexual assault allegations against Zyori, posted a screenshot of TobiWan’s sexually inappropriate direct messages on Twitter.
TobiWan is yet to respond following the allegations made by Meruna and Ashnichrist.