- A man named Kiran helped detect a gas leak early in the Visakhapatnam.
- He was playing PUBG MOBILE late into the night hen he experienced a strong chemical smell and informed his friends.
In an article published Indian newspaper magazine, The Week, a man named Kiran who was playing PUBG MOBILE late into the night, helped detect the gas leak which allowed time for a evacuation of the village in which he was residing. The Visakhapatnam/Vizag gas leak was India’s biggest incident related to a chemical since the infamous Bhpoal Gas Tragedy of 1984. The Vizag gas leak resulted in 13 deaths and affected over 1000 people/
Kiran, who regularly played PUBG MOBILE into the late hours, contacted his friend Pathala Suresh upon being exposed to a strong chemical smell. Suresh, who was actively involved in local affairs, then contacted other friends and ventured out onto the streets to investigate the smell. Finding the air pungent and streets filled with smoke, they called up the plant’s security and learnt that there had been a leak in the styrene chemical tanks. They then went door-to-door, waking up neighbours and nearly 500 people were woken up. The congregation were then moved into the other side of the village to another location which was at a height and not affected by the leak.
Both Kiran and Suresh were residents of the Venkatapuram village, which was ground zero in the industrial accident. While the youngsters were able to inform and evacuate some people, there were many who could not be evacuated. While Suresh and his friends helped inform as many people as possible, with nearly 1000 people being evacuated early, the incident still took a toll on the village and its residents. However, almost none of the people who were evacuated early were affected and did not need to be hospitalized.
As for Kiran, the one who was up playing the game, he had to be hospitalized since his house was quite close to the leak. Suresh told The Week that had it not been for Kiran, calling him up early, a lot more people could have been affected.
PUBG MOBILE's popularity in India has been staggering to see and the game is no short of a way of life in the country. From celebrities, to sports persons and politicians, the game has the nation hooked. There has been a lot of conversation about the addictive nature of the game, with incidents coming to light about extreme steps people have taken to play it. However, this seems to be one such scenario where playing the game actually helped saved lives.
Read the full report here.