For all those wondering if it is possible to play CS:GO on gaming consoles like Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4 and more, well the short answer is yes. It is very much possible to play the online competitive shooter across these gaming consoles, but it is not a straight forward process like downloading the game through a website or a client. In order to play CS:GO on these devices, you need to follow certain steps, so it may end up becoming a bit of a lengthy process albeit nothing too complex. So without further ado let’s get started and see how you can play CS:GO on Xbox One, Xbox 360, or a PS4.
How to Play CS:GO on Gaming Consoles
Though Counter-Strike veterans might be aware of this, I am sure the more recent players have no idea about the fact that CS:GO was developed, in an attempt made by Valve to port Counter-Strike: Source over to video game consoles like PS3 and Xbox 360.
This was followed by Valve actually developing and releasing a whole new version of Counter-Strike for both PC and consoles, which is today popularly known as Counter-Strike: Global Offensive more commonly referred to as CS:GO.
But while the PC version took off and has cemented itself as one of the best online competitive shooters in the world, while also being counted among the most popular esports titles to come across, its console version seems to have been completely forgotten.
Lost somewhere in time, with the next generation of players having no knowledge about its existence. Counter-Strike:GO - the arcade version of CS:GO remains untouched and can still be played across various console devices like Xbox One, Xbox 360, and PS4.
CS:GO on Xbox One and Xbox 360
CS:GO’s arcade or console version called Counter-Strike:GO which was released in 2012 can still be played on both Xbox One and Xbox 360. While the game can be directly played on ‘360’, in order to play it on the ‘One’ you have to do it via backwards compatibility, which is honestly quite easy. The only tough part is obtaining the game, so as to download and install it.
Here are detailed steps of how you can go about playing CS:GO on both Xbox One and Xbox 360,
- Open any browser on your computer. Open the Xbox 360 store and search for Counter-Strike:GO.
- Click on the ‘Buy Game’ option present on the left side of the screen. Remember, the game is only available on the Xbox 360 store. The game page exists on other Microsoft websites as well, but the game is not purchasable over there.
- Login to your Microsoft account when prompted to do so. If you do not have an account, then create one.
- Now, open your Xbox One console and press the prominent ‘Xbox’ button in the middle of the controller. This will open the ‘Xbox Guide’.
- From the ‘Xbox Guide’ select the ‘My Games and Apps’ icon and then press ‘X’ on the controller to select it.
- Once again press ‘X’ on the controller in order to choose ‘See All’.
- Scroll down to the option ‘Ready To Install’, highlighting it and then press ‘X’.
- Once again scroll through the list of games and programs to highlight ‘Counter-Strike:GO’ and then press ‘X’. A confirmation page will appear.
- Press ‘X’ one last time to select ‘Install All’. This will download and install Counter-Strike:GO to your console. Now you are all ready to play CS:GO from either Xbox One or the Xbox 360.